CRI is aiming to be a great success commercially. Although our technology is ground-breaking, to evolve from a start-up to selling our products globally we need a wide range of skills and expertise.
You can find out more about the latest opportunities here.
Location: Technical facilities will be located in Cambridge UK (lasers) and Milan Italy (system integration, detection chain and imaging).
Contract type: Full-time
Reports to: CTO
Term: Permanent. We are new and we reward delivery
Cambridge Raman Imaging Ltd. is an exciting new spinout company emerging from ground breaking work with synchronised ultra-fast lasers and Coherent Raman Spectroscopy with the aim of enabling Label-Free Imaging for histopathology. The company is in the process of raising funds to build a development and product assembly facility.
You will be developing the critical laser module enabling Label-Free Imaging – an innovation that could ultimately replace the existing standard biopsy evaluation process and offer new opportunities for diagnosis and treatment. This will require that you join the development of patented ultrafast fibre-laser systems (based in Cambridge), with graphene enabled synchronisation, whilst closely collaborating with the team developing the engineered system and the detection chain (in Milan). This appointment will initially require hands-on detailed research and development, but will develop into a broader collaborative role with the larger team. There will be some travel within Europe and occasional trips to Asia. Hours will be flexible in order to engage fully with the project and the wider team.
The system is new and still in the research phase, requiring both development and optimization You will participate to the current work programme and contribute to its implementation, with deliverables that satisfy current funding objectives and company requirement, including:
- Understanding the current performance of the fibre laser/SA
- Develop a specification for the SA, based on the system requirements defined by the Lead System Engineer in Milan
- Analysis of risks to be addressed
Optimising the performance and reliability of the fibre laser and its architecture
Delivery of timely documentation required as part of a medical device design team, with a working approach aligned to the demands of regulatory compliance. It is essential that regulatory compliance for Europe and the US is designed in from the beginning.
Working with industrial partners to design for manufacture the graphene saturable absorber synchronisation component as part of a fully integrated CRS Label-Free Imaging system for launch in Asia. This will include creation of laser system product performance requirements specifications under the direction of the CTO and in close collaboration with partners and team.
You will work in close collaboration with the Lead System Engineer and the team developing the detection chain and imaging systems.
You are a driven, experienced researcher who will participate to the development of a mode locked and synchronised laser system, including graphene saturable absorber, in an advanced microscopy system for histopathology that must meet regulatory requirements for multiple territories. You should be able to demonstrate:
- PhD in a relevant science based subject (such as physics, engineering or electronics etc.);
- Experience of developing tunable fibre-lasers, saturable absorbers development or non-linear optics; Knowledge of Raman spectroscopy or medical imaging would be an advantage;
- Solid team-work, reporting and organisational skills, to fit the broad team roadmap and meet the company objectives
- Strong focus to product development is a plus
- Experience in EU funding applications (either in business, research or an educational institution) would be an advantage;
- Experience of medical technology regulatory approval would be an advantage;
- Spoken and written English is essential.
For further information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.